SCHOOL VISIT PROGRAM
Want to create a hands-on art building experience that sends an environmental message? Turn your STEM into STEAM with ScrapKins.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information and pricing.
• 50-minute Assembly with presentation slides covering:
- The origins of the ScrapKins characters from my childhood
- Sample projects of Recycled Toys created from my book “Junk Re-Thunk”
- The Basics of Writing and illustrating a book
- Live craft making demonstration
- Q & A
• Individual Recycled Art Making Workshops with Classrooms or Art Teacher
• Recycled Building & Story Creation Workshop
“Brian Yanish was a fantastic guest author when he visited our school. He engaged with our children beautifully where he expertly took them on a journey of creativity. By the end of his assembly every single child was desperate to make something! It is rare that we have a visitor that can connect so positively with all our pupils. I would have him back in a heart beat.”
- Mrs Dawn Persad, Head of School, Henry Cavendish Primary School
Balham, United Kingdom
“The children were mesmerized by the Scrapkins and he captured their imaginations through a fun and hands on activity in which the children made their own creatures from recycled materials. These creatures then inspired their own story writing. His books have been much enjoyed and talked about ever since!”
- Fleur Gibbs, Year 4 Teacher, St Barnabas & St Philip's Church of England Primary School
London, United Kingdom
“We were very lucky to host Brian Yanish at Norwood Fontbonne Academy for a visit with our 1st-3rd Graders. Brian's presentation was informative, interesting, and engaging for the students and teachers both. Students left the presentation motivated to collect used materials to build and create new things. Since the visit, students have been sharing with me their creations, and they are so excited to create stories around their creations involving the Scrapkins! One student was quoted that afternoon saying "I can't believe I just met a real, live author!" We were thrilled to meet Brian, and we are still energized by what he shared with us that day!"
- Shannon Craige, Librarian, Norwood-Fontbonne Academy, Philadelphia
"The presentation was so inspiring that my class opened a new free choice center called Creation Station. The kids enjoy re-inventing recyclables into unique one of a kind creations."
- Debbie Parnell, First Grade Teacher, Park Road Elementary School
"Students and teachers LOVED the presentation. There was something for everyone, and all of the students couldn't WAIT to start creating using found materials. The creativity Brian inspired in them was magnificent. We also can't keep his book on the library shelves!"
- Tami Holihan, Librarian, Park Road Elementary School
|Amazing Thank you Notes from Students at Park Road Elementary|
“Brian’s presentation was highly engaging and inspirational for our students. Students learned to look at “junk” in a whole new way and to imagine the possibilities when re-purposing everyday objects. Brian’s characters were relatable and students were excited to learn that they were created when Brian was at an elementary age. It has been fun to continue to see our students think creatively as a result of Brian’s visit!”
- Heather Clayton, Principal, Mendon Center Elementary School
“Our students loved the “Junk Re-Thunk/Scrapkins” classroom workshop with Brian Yanish. He has a wonderful way of engaging students with his creativity, enthusiasm and patience. This interactive experience allowed our students to work closely with Brian to turn junk into something useful and entertaining. It was a terrific learning experience for our students!”
- Roger DeBell, Principal, Thornell Road Elementary School
“Brian Yanish and ScrapKins are an amazing find for any school! His creativity combined with his ability to connect with students
guarantees an excellent Assembly or visiting artist experience. We cannot wait to have him back! The boys have not stopped talking about him in- art as well as science classes! ”
- Laurie Gruhn, Head of Lower School,
The Browning School, NYC
"Brian Yanish motivated even our most challenging learners. He has a wonderful way with children. Mr. Yanish was always well prepared, very patient and very professional. It was a wonderful experience for our students. My first grade had so much fun creating monster cars, houses, gardening projects and more. The children were so proud of their creations! I highly recommend Brian Yanish!!!"
- Margaret Quinlivan, 1st Grade Teacher,
Lefferts Garden Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
“Brian’s enthusiasm and passion for self-expression inspired kids to feel that creativity is within reach.”
- Mike Biondi, Principal, Allen Creek Elementary
"Fun, creative and interactive engagement for visitors. Brian and the ScrapKins team were fantastic to work with and helped to make our event a great success!”
- Suzanne Morris, Assistant Director Public Programs
American Museum of Natural History